Vince McMahon Says He’s Not Bidding To Buy The XFL Back
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Earlier this month, a report came out that suggested that Vince McMahon was looking to purchase the XFL after the league declared bankruptcy. Now, a new report from ESPN (via Pro Football Talk) seems to squash any possibilities of that happening.
In a filing today in bankruptcy court, Vince McMahon said he will not be a bidder for the XFL. The unsecured creditors committee had previously objected to the proceedings, saying McMahon was trying to rig the process to buy back the league without fully paying back debtors.
— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) May 26, 2020
According to a report from ESPN’s Kevin Seifert, McMahon made a recent filing in bankruptcy court on Tuesday, stating that he would not be a bidder for the XFL. In the same filing, he called claims to the contrary “inflammatory rhetoric and unsubstantiated accusations.”
After launching in February, the XFL lasted just five weeks before shutting down due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Since then, the league has surprisingly shut down for good, and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in mid-April. It’s unknown at the moment whether or not McMahon will attempt to be part of a group of buyers, but currently it seems like he’s not interested in buying back the league.