Jim Duggan On Wrestling Being Bigger Than Any One Talent, Who Else He Credits With His Success
(Photo Credit: Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images)
Tonight, Jim Duggan and Ted DiBiase will be taking the stage in Las Vegas to share some stories of their lives in the squared circle. Duggan and DiBiase have a friendship and legacy that goes way back and the two will be sure to intertwine their wrestling careers with some insightful and fun takes tonight at the FSW Snake Pit. Tickets are available here. The two will also be in Los Angeles the next night and tickets for that show are available here.
Duggan recently spoke with WrestleZone’s Dominic DeAngelo and Hacksaw is someone who is very grateful for what the wrestling business has done for him. “It’s been a great business for me and my slant on wrestling is different than a lot of guys,” Hacksaw said.
He also believes that the industry will never be beholden to one individual talent or star.
“It succeeds and it’s bigger than any one guy cause I remember, ‘There will never be another Bruno!’ Bruno’s gone. ‘There will never be another Hogan!’ Hogan’s gone. ‘There will never be another Stone Cold!’ He’s gone. ‘There will never be another Rock!’ There’s Cena. The business is bigger than any one guy.”
Duggan credits a lot of his success in life to his wife Deborah, whom he has been married to for 35 years and the strong bond that the two share is what has made this aspect of his career so rewarding.
“Well support at home, you know. My wife. People say it takes two. Look, back in the day the guy is on the road, he would usually have the one night stand but the wife is the one at home and she’s the one that’s having the affair. She sees the same guy at the grocery store and so that’s why there’s such a high divorce rate in wrestling. Deborah, like I said, 35 years together, my best friend. She travels on the show with me, on the stand up shows.”
Duggan’s experience with the live shows are typically ones for the entire family to enjoy but he once did a show with his good friend Jake Roberts that provided an interesting headline in the local city paper:
“I love Jake, but we did a show in Nashville together the next day and the newspaper said, ‘Jake was Hustler, Duggan was Disney.’ The folks really had a roller coaster ride that night!”
(Transcription credit should go to @DominicDeAngelo of WrestleZone)
You can listen to the entire interview below and be sure to check out Hacksaw’s and Ted’s show tonight if you’re in the greater Vegas area. Plus, check out all dates of both Duggan’s and DiBiase’s live shows by going here!:
’80s Wrestling Con 3
Hacksaw Jim Duggan is also set to appear at ’80s Wrestling Con III this April in Freehold, New Jersey. He will be part of a lineup that also includes Honky Tonk Man, The Rock ‘N’ Roll Express, Lex Luger and many more of your favorite ’80s wrestling stars.
’80s Wrestling Con 3 takes place on Saturday, April 18th in freehold, NJ at iPlay America from 10 am- 3 pm. The event will feature tons of 80’s wrestling superstars, attractions, vendor tables, and so much more.
- WWE Hall Of Famer: Honky Tonk Man
- Hollywood Actor/former WWE Superstar: Zeus
- Former World Heavyweight Champion: “Total Package” Lex Luger
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan
- Rock N’ Roll Express
- Teddy Long
- “Dr. D” David Schultz
- Daughter Of Andre The Giant: Robin Christensen-Roussimoff
- Dutch Mantell
- Former WWF Announcer Sean Mooney
- AWA World Heavyweight Champion Larry Zbyszko
- WWF Tag Team Champion: Tony Garea
- The Conquistadors
- Former NWA Central States Champion: Sam Houston
- WWF Ring Announcer: Mike Mcguirk
- Ted Arcidi
- The Haiti Kid
- “Polish Power” Ivan Putski
Please Note: All Superstars will be doing their signing/photo-ops from 10:30 am- 1:30 pm.
- Former WWE Superstars: The Ascension
- Dean Malenko
- Terri Runnels
- WCW United States Champion: Bill Demott
- ECW Original: The Blue Meanie
- 80’s WWF Wrestler Mario Mancini
- WCW Tag Team Champion Crowbar
- NXT Star Bull James
- Former WWF Wrestler: Davey O’ Hannon
- Cool, Cocky, Bad LIVE! Performed By The Honky Tonk Man
- Alphabetical Slam: Making The WWE Encyclopedia
- Texas One-Two Step Dance Contest Hosted By Sam Houston
- 80’s Wrestling Family Feud Presented By Hell’s Kitchen Hot Sauce
- Wrestling Cosplay Contest
- 80’s Wrestling Face Painting
- Weekend Of Champions: The Tell-All Story Of The Creation Of Wrestling Conventions
- 80’s Star Maker With Mario Mancini